Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Finished at the Embassy today!

Walking to daddy... isn't that the most adorable smile you've ever seen?


Sleeping Beauty

Telling Ms. Roy, the Orphanage Director, goodbye at the hotel in Kolkata

Wow... we have had such an amazing experience in India! We are tired, but so so happy! It has been so busy! We received Jadyn's Visa at the Embassy today so we are ready to travel home soon. We are looking forward to seeing everyone, but we are trying to soak up every minute of this experience that we can. What wonderful memories we are going to have to tell Jadyn about some day. India is an amazing place. It looks even more beautiful now seeing it through our daughter's eyes.
I can't begin to tell you all of the wonderful experinces we have had... but the best of all, of course, was meeting Jadyn for the very first time. I will never forget the moment I saw her. INSTANT LOVE! She is such a loving and sweet baby girl. We feel so blessed that she has bonded so well to both of us. We are both able to hold, snuggle, and love her all the time. She just looks back at us with such love too. It is truly amazing! She makes the most adorable expressions... she has all of these different little smiles that just melt your heart. Everywhere we go people smile and say how cute she is... of course we already new that. She has such a sweet little disposition. During the long day at the Embassy today she just slept and then woke up smiling. The doctors visit was a little scary for her though... when we had to undress her she cried and that was the first time we had heard her really cry loud. Thankfully, she didn't have to get any shots. We were so relieved because we hated to put her through that. Her weight was just over 15lbs which is what we thought.
We rode an autorickshaw yesterday to get the visa photos and shopped in the crowded streets of New Delhi. (Anila's brother helped translate for us and helped us bargin at the markets). Even though it is very crowded and busy, we have never felt unsafe. It's all just like a scene from a movie. You've never seen so many people in one place! It's true what everyone says about the traffic and the lines in the roads being just a guideline, and the honking too. However, Anila told me that the honking is not intended to be rude, as it often is in the US. It's just a way of letting people know you're coming. As I've watched, I've seen that this is totally true. They are never angry when their honking. They just don't give to one another at all when driving. They just keep right on going into oncoming traffic.I've never seen so many close calls in traffic, but I've yet to see an actual accident. It's all just like organized chaos.
We also ate at McDonald's last night, which is not like ours in the states. Shane was dissapointed... no hamburgers... just chicken sandwiches. Today, for lunch, we had VERY spicy Indian food, which was really great, but you really pay for it later (heehee!). Anila showed us how to eat everything and told us all the names for everything. It is considered very mannerly to eat with your hands, and when you're done with the meal they bring you this little basin of warm water with a lime in it to clean your fingers. You use the lime like soap on your fingertips to remove all of the spicy smells.
Tomorrow we have a free day since all of our business is done at the embassy. We were surprised to be finished with everything so soon. PRAISE THE LORD! We decided to treat ourselves and stay at the Sheraton Hotel until time to travel. The Clark was okay for a couple of nights, but the room wasn't that great and it's in a VERY noisy area. We felt that we really needed some rest before we make the long journey home again. We wouldn't trade our expereience there though, it gave us a great chance to see a whole other side of New Delhi that we wouldn't have otherwise. By the way... I would highly recommend the Sheraton in New Delhi to those who will be traveling soon. Great rooms, great service, just great all around.
We might do a little more shopping tomorrow and then on Thursday our plane doesn't leave until 11:00 p.m. so we are hoping to be able to make arrangements with the hotel to stay a little later. I will try to post again tomorrow and put up new pics... got the message mom : ) We love everyone very much. Keep us in your prayers as we finish up this incredible journey and begin our new lives as a family of three. (I love saying that... family of three!)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing picture of Jadyn walking to her daddy. I know that just melted Shane's heart. I know I keep saying I am so excited for you guys. It's so amazing how God has brought everthing together...in his perfect timing!!! Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Kristie Humphries

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love that picture of Jadyn walking to her Daddy. What a smile!!!! She has really stolen my heart! Give her a big, big hug from me and Steve.

Love y'all so much. Praying for you.

Teresa and Steve

Anonymous said...

What Pictures!!!!!! it is so good to see eveyone smiling and happy. I just keep thinking if you guys hadn't been persistent and kept holding on to God's promise this story would have had a different ending, but praise God you did. What a testimony you have now.
love to all,
karen mccollum

Anonymous said...

Shane,Grace,and Jadyn, I am so happy for you all. Our God is so great he can do anything. Like he said he is an ON TIME GOD. I can hardly wait to see your precious little Angel. You are so Blessed. My prayers are with you as you travel back home. Love ALL, Pamela Clark.

Nadra said...

Grace, Shane and Jadyn,

Great pictures. I love reading about your experiences. Isn't the Sheraton AWESOME? That's where we stayed and we loved it.

Looking forward to seeing you when you get home.

Get some rest.

Love,
Nadra

Nadra said...

Grace,

I forgot one thing. The Sheraton will let you stay later on check out day. We stayed until 6:00pm. It's about 30-45 minutes to the airport from the hotel. If we could have stayed longer, that would have been great, but just being able to not check out a noon was a blessing. You're going to get to the airport early, but that's OK.

See you soon.

Nadra

Anonymous said...

She is adorable! I love the new pics. How exciting to finally have her with you. I bet it feels very surreal. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay...it's definitely a once in a life time experience. God is so good.

Love you all,

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Finally got a chance to see all of you together. Looks like Shane has met his match.
Can't wait to see ALL of you when you get home.
Take care...
God Bless

Greg

Anonymous said...

Grace, Shane and Jadyn,
Y'all don't know me. I am Pam Puckett's aunt. She gave me your blog address. I visited New Dehli in 1969 and your description brought back "old memories". I almost feel as if I know you from your blog site. May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you.
Bobbie Westwick

Anonymous said...

Grace and Shane,
I am so excited and happy for you. She is just so beautiful and precious! I can't wait to see her.
I am thinking and praying for your safe trip home.

Love,
Shannon

Stacy said...

I am so glad to hear such positive experiences that you all are having in India. Yours and Amanda's blogs have given me a new perspective on my daughter's birthland as our views in India and experiences were not exactly positive. I now believe a lot of it came out of fear and ignorance on our part. I would love to return someday with others in hopes that I can relax and enjoy with Ehlena her birthland.
I am really enjoying reading and following your journey and all the pictures.
Take care and I will continue to pray for safe travel.
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Grace, the pictures and your stories are AWESOME. We pulled up the website here at our clinic and have all been gathered around reading it. There wasn't a dry eye in the place. That little girl already has ALL of us wrapped around her little finger! :) See you Friday night!
Love,
Betsy Smith (and Bethany, Pam, Danielle, Mike, and Grandma Pat)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see more pictures. That smile on Jadyn's face just made me tingle and tears come to my eyes. She is even cuter than ever. I am so glad she has taken to you guys (but who wouldnt). I want to hear EVERYTHING when you have time someday so I hope you are making a journal. Like you said, it is all great memories to share someday with Jadyn. She is so lucky!! We love you THREE and cant wait to see you in person on Friday!!!

Heather Riggs

Anonymous said...

Shane, Grace, & Jadyn,
Love the pics!!!
She has that "Daddy, I've already got you wrapped around my finger!" smile on her little face,
melting daddy's heart!! see you soon!!

Peggy & Francis

Anonymous said...

Shane,Grace and Jadyn,
Its so good to see all of you so happy.I miss you so much but I'm so glad you are having the time of your lives. Hope your last few days there in India will be the best yet. Kiss and hug Jadyn for me and tell her I can't wait to hold her. Love You Lots,
Mom

Anonymous said...

hi shane and grace,
i hope you are doing good with baby jadyn. we miss you alot. we hope to see you soon
love you,
kaitlyn and caleb

Anonymous said...

I think of you often. Jadyn is beautiful and such a little miracle. Can't wait to buy her a little princess outfit. Have you decorated her room?
marilyn

Anonymous said...

Grace, Shane and Jadyn,
What a beautiful looking family! I am so happy for all of you. Jadyn is a very lucky little girl!
God is so good!
Sheri (maya's mom)

Anonymous said...

The new pics are wonderful, she has so much love and trust in her eyes. I am so glad you are having such a wonderful trip. I feel the sudden urge to go out and buy her some PINK things. ( I never get to buy pink) We will keep all of you in our prayers, have a safe trip home.
Deanna, Keith and boys

Anonymous said...

The McMahan Family - (doesn't that sound good!) Oh, what an awesome God we have. Tears of joy have appeared with each new picture and story I've read & seen. You know we are all anxiously waiting to see y'all. Until then, Bobbie

Anonymous said...

Oh, Gracie we just can't wait to meet Jadyn. I love the way she is patting both of you. That's precious how she is sleeping with both of you (you'll have to keep that up) she looks so energized...that busy little thing. It's just meant to be so clearly illustrated by the way she has so quickly and naturally bonded with both of you.
Love, Kathy, Marilyn, Joann

Anonymous said...

Joann and I have decided we need some jewelry from India. Anything would be great. We'll pay you back. Bangles like Jadyn has would be great. Marilyn